Monday, 19 March 2018

Plottin on.

Well after all that snow we had some nice weather so I got down the plot to do some more digging. 

I picked up 40 pavers & have just laid them down on the ground so I can see where I'm going & to help with planning. They are bumpy but I will smooth that out before I finish.

I have dug 25ft by 14ft so far. The lump of concrete goes all the way across the plot, I'm wondering if it's some type of pipe line for the houses nearby.


At least I will have space for the potatoes & sweetcorn. Now to dig somewhere for all the rest to go.

At home I have some plants already growing. Some of the peppers haven't yet germinated, hopefully they will soon. I did sow some more.


Locsei and Pimento have all germinated, Bukaten is 2nd with 80%, Cayenne has only 60% whilst the Tomato Pepper & Kalocsai haven't germinated yet. 

The Indigo on the far right is for my home garden, it produces a blue dye. None of them have germinated yet either.


My tomatoes are doing brilliantly. The Roma is the only one which has 2 that haven't germinated but that's not a problem as there is plenty of time to sow some more.

I have plenty of potatoes chitting. Rooster, Desiree & Maris Piper.



Mum's peas have started, there are lots of gaps where some haven't yet germinated, not sure if I need to wait or re-sow.




I decided to use some fence paint I found in my shed to treat the wooden parts of the shelving for the greenhouse, they look really nice now.

Then it decided to snow again so I've not been able to go plotting all weekend.

Tuesday, 6 March 2018

Getting plotting

After getting my new plot I had hoped to get started but we had snow. Unfortunately I was one of the only members of staff that managed to get into work so I ended up covering most of the missing ones. But after all that I now have a week off so it's off plotting I go.

I met the 2 men that have the plot next to me, they seem ok.

I lit the fire, it didn't burn very well whilst I was there, until I started to leave & then it was going well, unfortunately we are not allowed to leave a burning fire so I had to put the remains out.

I have been digging. I found a big lump of concrete which is far too big to get out so I have marked where it is & hopefully when I decide on my lay out I can go around it.


It looks like a nice big bit but really it's very small. I am only going to get down to the tree line this year & plant. I have been offered some paving slabs which i will use to make a path down the centre. I want to put the greenhouse halfway down by the tree line, hopefully that will mean I have less trees to get out. It will also split the plot up a bit.

I found some Gooseberries, just 2 plants which have survived but mum will be happy. I can just see some new leaves.


The ground is very soft, so easy to dig, except for all the bramble roots which keep getting in the way. I've lost count the amount of times I tripped over the stubs that have been left from cutting them down.