Friday, 3 May 2013

Warm weather is here

I'm getting excited & a bit impatient. All we have to do is wait for no more frost. I really don't think we will be getting any, not down here in Kent. A lot of my seeds still haven't sprouted, well mainly the beans & sweetcorn. My pumpkins are coming along great, they really need planting out soon. My first attempt at Chillies, they have sprouted but now don't seem to be growing much. I have potted them all on in the hope they take off soon. My tomatoes are doing well, they can go out soon, I plant them at home, never had any blight there.
Tomatoes at back, Chillies to front

Pumpkins & Butternut Squash
My Sweet Potatoes came. I thought they were going to be slips, but they were rooted & in excellent heath. I'm really pleased with them. I got them from Sutton's Seeds so yes I will give them a plug, their customer service was good too, the plants came in a plastic box so they were well protected. I will order from them again next year & if the Sweet Potatoes do well I will order even more. They actually say you can plant 3 into a pot 18 inches wide, that's the size of my tyres so I could have ordered more this year. I have one plant for each tyre and one spare.
Sweet Potatoes
The tyres are all filled with compost & ready to be planted, the grass & weeds are growing very quickly down the plot.
Getting a bit overgrown
My onions I planted last Autumn didn't grown so I planted more into cells, they are growing well now so I will need to take them down the plot & get planting. The new Garlic didn't grow either. Luckily the Garlic I planted in the garden at home last year is doing very well.
Onions.

At lastly, I have been trying to get on with my bug hotel, I have made a planter for the top and planted Saxifrage, Mirablis and Aubrieta. I have a few others to go in and want to get some more Aubrieta. When it is all finished I will show you.

4 comments:

  1. We got similar sweet potatoes from Dobies (which is the sister company to Suttons)which looked very similar. Martyn popped popped some photos on his blog, I'm afraid we can't be confident of no more frosts yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There isn't usually any frost down here in Kent after the end of April, although having said that the weather has just changed & it's turned cold & wet.

      Delete
  2. It looks like you're keeping busy with lots of nice plants. I'm interested to know how your sweet potatoes get on; I love eating them but have never grown them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelli, this is my first time growing sweet potatoes, hopefully all will go well.

      Delete