Wednesday, 17 April 2013

Lovely weather for plotting

I suppose that depends on what you are plotting, World domination? There has been so much going around about GMO crops and not being able to buy old type seeds or keeping your own to re-sow (farmers). Of course I hope that doesn't end up applying to us allotment holders in the future. It seems a certain company is hell bent on World Domination.

Well not here. I have lots of seeds to keep going with and I keep some from my last harvest (except beetroot, carrots & parsnips). I'm still waiting for the seeds to arrive from my prize I won from Spaldings. It will be too late soon. In the meantime I have sown plenty of what I had left over. They are all in my greenhouse. I also managed to find myself 2 new heated propagators. Wait for it, bargain price of £14.90 each. They are massive, twice the size of the ones I had before. They were half price in Wilkinson's, I found them at £39.90 in Homebase. I sold the old ones for £15 the pair, so that paid for one of them. They are great, I have managed to get so much in them & all the plants are sprouting really quickly (quicker than they did in the old ones). So far I have got Calabrese seedlings, lettuce, tomato, squash, pumpkin, beans, sweetcorn & lots of other things. This time I have labelled thing so I remember what's what.

I have made it down to the plot for the last week, on Monday I had to come home rather quickly (we have no toilets there) so didn't spend much time there. But I have managed a few hours every day. It's all dug over, weeded & I have started sowing direct. Potatoes are in, dug a trench, filled with manure, chicken manure pellets & my magic ingredient. Then potatoes went in & got covered up.. I have sowed a few rows of carrots, parsnips & beetroot. I had to water them today as the soil had dried on the surface creating a crust so I also put a layer of fleece over it. I have also emptied my compost heap & put it into the tyres I got. Each is piled 2 high, manure into the bottom (fresh for the warmth) and then filled with the compost. These will be my Sweet Potato beds. I love Sweet Potatoes. I have ordered mine, 5 slips, I intend to put one slip in each tyre pile. I think that will be enough, it says plant 9inches apart, the tyres are only 18 inches wide. It would be a squash to fit 2 in, I think. So now everything is ready.

Except for the garlic, it didn't come up at the plot so I've had to buy more. I've popped it in the freezer & will plant it into modules soon. Then when they've started I can plant them out.
New propagator with beans & squashes

New propagator with sweetcorn & salads

Garlic at home has come up

Strawberries plants from last years runners

Raspberries at home in leaf


 
Chillis


Remember that pieris I bought last year, it is red.
You might also notice a lot of plants in trays in the pictures, they are all from B&Q and are for the baskets at Mina's, she is one of my gardening clients. I tried to over winter the baskets from last year but most of it seems to have died off, the fuchsias are not showing any signs of life either (still green under bark so alive), so I need to get in there & take out all the dead bits and put new in. They will stay in the greenhouse until all frosts have passed & then I will take them to hers. In the meantime I am re-pointing her patio. So very busy.

And then of course there is the new puppy. My garden has been decimated, there are holes in the lawn, I've had to put fencing up everywhere and there are chewed bottles, cardboard tubes & pots everywhere.

The forecast is for rain tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Well you have certainly been busy...I am playing catch up at the minute but I'm not panicking...I will just plod along nicely and hope it all comes good in the end. I never thought about putting my garlic in the freezer but will remember this tip for future late sowings!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE've managed more plotting too but then came the gales!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow have you been busy- really busy! hope to get out into my garden next week and put some winter wrongs to right :) looks to be nice crop- found an excellent "can you freeze this" site that has all the info on what to do with the extra you yield. check it out- www.canyoufreezethis.com it should come in handy when i get to CO. hugs to the pooches, and yourself.

    ReplyDelete