Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Happy New Year All

I hope this year brings better weather & harvest for you all. Last year was a bit of a washout for most of us. Although I must say it saved on the watering needed, lol. This year started with sun here, although the air was still damp, it was not frosty. The year has not started off very good for me, first I couldn't buy the new light bulbs I wanted, so it looks like yet again I will have to change them all which is getting very annoying. Secondly they are still imbeciles in B&Q, they haven't a clue what an "all spectrum" light is let alone where they keep their firelighters (nor do they sell the old type anymore) in the end I had to buy these new eco ones which are compressed cardboard from Homebase. Trip to Wilkinsons needed. Then I spent a couple of hours at the plot digging and burning which was fine until it got dark so I came home and sat down breaking another spring in my chair, now I will definitely have to get it repaired.

I have been taking it easy(ish) down the plot, I am still trying to get the final bit dug over, but I am nearly there. This bit has got loads of bindweed roots in it so I need to get as much out as I can.


Then I need to sort out some kind of fencing to keep the animals off, I don't really want to close it off though so I may just put it around each bed, we will see. I really need to keep the brassicas covered too, don't like eating caterpillars. I know it still looks a bit messy but it is actually one of the neatest here. I need to get a shed too. When that's all done I think we will have a BBQ to celebrate.



It looks so much better now then it did when I first got there (see header pic in it's weed filled glory). I will have had the plot for a year at the end of this month.

8 comments:

  1. Satisfying isn't it getting the plot into shape although I don't know how you are managing to dig - is your soil well drained.

    Sorry about the other mishaps maybe you're just getting them over with in one go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just been reading back to the beginning of my blog. Thankyou for all you helpful comments Sue. You've been with me from the start giving me encouragement, it doesn't feel like I've been alone on the plot at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a pleasure to follow your journey Liz.

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year to you too. Hopefully this years weather will be far better for us gardeners. Your plot looks in pretty good shape to me. I'm struggling to get a new one cleared up at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year! It's amazing to me that you can be working in your plot; here we have the ground covered in 8 inches of snow. The bits of green I see in your photos have me longing for spring. Hope you get great weather in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you had some bad luck. Hope the rest of the year goes much better. It is too cold here to work outdoors. Happy New Year to you! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to the BBQ. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A belated Happy New Year to you Liz. I was trying to see where your plot looked messy and i just couldn't find it. I think it looks great. You have done a fantastic job with it and looking at yours now makes me feel a little ashamed at my lack of enthusiasm over the last month or so. I really need to get back into the swing of things...I have lots planned for this year!!

    ReplyDelete