Sunday, 2 December 2012

Spalding blogger's club

Well, those of you who also read Sue's blog will know all about the competition from Spalding's. The idea is we have to choose up to 5 bulbs for a spring patio tub display. Well it harder than I thought. As I had already read Sue's post I thought I had better not use the same bulbs, although I must say she had picked 2 that I liked very much, the Fritillaria and the Tulips. Now I'm not one for bulbs at all and I certainly don't like yellow, in fact I have quite a fear of Daffodils. But I do love Alliums so of course I knew I had to include these, but Spalding's has quite a few of them to choose from and I couldn't possibly choose them all (or could I? don't worry I didn't).





So for my first bulb I chose Allium Karataviense 'Ivory Queen' The leaves are silvery-green with pale purple veins, and the flowers are a pinkish-white to cream.

'Ivory Queen' is unique, low-growing, very decorative and excellent for pots and planters (according to Spalding). Also suitable as a dried flower.

It flowers from May to June, to a height of about 25cm.









For my second bulb I chose the Sicilian Honey Garlic (yes I can get away with this, it's not exactly an Allium).

This bulb grows to about 1m in height and has very pretty flowers of green and white with touches of pink/lilac. I felt this would bring a touch of warmth to the Allium's contrast of cool colours.

They flower June/July and need to be planted about 10cm deep. 




Now I decided to only choose 3 different bulbs. Less is more as the saying goes. To be honest I usually only put 2 different plants in my pots at home, one tall and one trailing or low growing. Either that or ones that flower at different times but of course that would defeat the object of a Spring flowering pot.




So for my third bulb I chose my absolute favourite, Dutch Iris 'Silvery Beauty'.

I thought that the colour would compliment the Alliums and the grass-like leaves would be able to "poke" up through the wider leaves of the Alliums.

They have a slightly warmer shade of purple which would bring the cool shades of the Alliums and the warm shades of the Garlic together.

The Dutch Iris grows to about 50cm in height, just above the Alliums and allowing the Garlic to stand clear of the tops of the flowers. They flower from May to July.


Now Spalding Bulb Blogger Club didn't specify what type of "tub" they wanted us to use, as the bulbs I chose are silvery/mauve I feel they would look good in a stone colour coloured bowl, not too shallow, not too deep. Too shallow would not allow for the layering of the bulbs and of course different sized bulbs are planted at different depths (drainage material also needs to be placed in the bottom) and I feel that if it were too deep the height of the Garlic wouldn't be appreciated.

11 comments:

  1. The bulbs you have chosen have beautiful flowers! Good luck. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely collection Nancy. I think these would complement each other nicely. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry...I don't even know any Nancy...guess I really should stoop trying to have conversations and type at the same time...oops!!

      Delete
    2. Oh maybe I got Nancy from the comment above and I'm not totally loosing my mind after all!!

      Delete
    3. Nancy is from Cozy Thyme Cottage. She signed her comment Nancy and you just thought she was refering to me. No you are not loosing your mind, it was an easy mistake to make. I have done that before and even had to go back into posts to read the correct names and spellings, lol. It's easy done.
      Have a great Christmas/Yuletide and New Year, lets hope we have better growing conditions for the year ahead.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to bag some of the bulbs before you - I hope one of us wins and I honestly don't mind who!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I didn't have the heart to tell them. I don't know how Nancy is either, but then I've been called so many different names before, there's one old lady who comes into the Pharmacy that insists on calling me Christine. I don't mind.

      Delete
    2. Congratulations on your win Liz - I'm glad one of us did.

      Delete
  4. Liz, I love bulbs, but being in California the land of perpetual sun and warmish winters I can plant a bulb and not have to worry about digging it up in the fall. I just leave them in the ground and then come spring suddenly I have a burst of color that I had forgotten existed. It really is fun, don't think I will be able to do this in colorado. One thing I am looking forward to in colorado is Lilacs... love Lilacs. In CA one year I tried to put ice around the base all winter and got one little bloom, okay I'll wait. P.S. I like your choices ! especially the Honey Garlic. I will post the ones in my garden come this spring... sorry forgot what I have already ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The allium bulbs in the top photo are amazing. I usually like colour but they add interesting structure and a modern twist.

    ReplyDelete