Friday, 19 October 2012

Rain

Wet, wet, wet, not the group but the weather down here at the moment. It is bucketing down, the little river is almost over flowing, the plots are covered in mud and only the stupid ventured down, oh yes, that was me. I got soaked, my feet were floating in my shoes and my coat (wool) is twice as heavy.

At last I made it back to B & Q to pick up the polystyrene trays the lady said she would put aside for me. Something for free. I have used them in between the pallets to hope fully make my compost heap retain heat. I have read different methods on other blogs on how to make a hot heap, I read you need to use paving slabs on the bottom then make your walls thick to retain heat, this should make the micro-organisms work rather than worms. Well I haven't quite done this, I put plastic on the bottom and only 3 walls have been insulated, we will see if it helps. I also put black plastic on the sides to help heat it up when the sun shines (laugh hysterically).


I decided it was time to harvest my pumpkins and butternut squash, I don't think they are going to ripen in this weather so have brought them home and put them in the greenhouse.


The upside is that my cabbages are doing really well, I'm not sure if they are summer or winter ones, will have to find the packet and have a look. The celery is still very small, don't know if they are going to produce much. There is one courgette left, the plant has had enough, and so have I. I don't have a clue how to cook it or what to put it in. Only going to grow one plant next year.


Lets hope next year is great growing weather, I want lots of carrots and beetroot. I also need to get some parsnip seeds, I love parsnips and haven't got any this year.

So over the winter I will need to work out what I'm going to plant and get everything ready for the new season. Next year I may be able to record my harvests too.

Oh I nearly forgot, I took video of my river.

video

4 comments:

  1. We certainly are entering the wetter colder weather now and although things are slowing down there is always still plenty to do!!

    Your river is certainly flowing well...I think we are all getting our fair share of rain...luckily for me at the moment it always comes with the sunset and the days have been dry. hope that holds out for the weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if it isn't dry I can always get Culpepper out and have a good read.

      Delete
  2. We are getting rain but luckily no river overflowing near us. Your gardens are nice and neat! I planted a little lettuce between rains today in my cold frame and then it rained so that should help it! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. liz You can become a writer in my blog if you want
    www.decorations-garden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete