Tuesday, 9 October 2012

Autumn

I hate this time of the year. The leaves are dropping and the plants are going to sleep. That's how I feel too. The days are getting even shorter and the weather is miserable. It's not been a very good year at all, well it was ok to start with but then hurting my knees meant I couldn't put everything into the plot. I suffer from S. A. D. that's seasonal affective disorder, normally it only sets in at this time of the year but it's been so miserable all year that it's been there in the background all the time. I have tried to keep myself as busy as I could, but there were days when that was difficult to do. Sometimes I wish I could hibernate, but I do like snow, maybe it reflects enough of the sunlight to help me.

It will be Halloween soon, I have a couple of pumpkins which are now turning orange, they should be ready by the end of the month. I picked a couple of the butternut squash too but they aren't ready and I do hope they turn just like pumpkins do. I have never grown them before so I don't know what to expect from them. I will definitely start them off earlier next year as they didn't get chance to ripen, maybe that was just due to the weather, lets hope it's better next year.

I forgot to take photos today, I spent 2hrs on the plot. I took down my beans and put them on the compost heap. Wandered down to see the bees (there are 2 more hives there now), they haven't visited me since I moved the blue box, maybe they don't like it now. I did get another head of calabrese and the cabbages are doing very well, maybe a little too well. I don't like cabbage so I have no idea what I'm going to do with it all. The celery is tiny, don't think anything is going to come of that now.

I need to try and get on with things down there now, the weeds are going to slow down their growth so I should have time to do the digging and clear up. I still need to get a shed but finances are very short at the moment. The subs are due by the end of this month, thank goodness they are only £10. I have read on some other blogs they are being charged nearly 10 times this.

4 comments:

  1. That is rough having the S.A.D. problem. Hope things get looking up soon for you! Our gardening season is almost over also as we did have one frost. Limping along with a little greens and couple sugar peas! Thankful for even that! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is £10 all your rental? - we pay that per plot just for water rates.

    I hate short days too wish we weren't turning the clocks forward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand how you feel. I tend to get very low in February, when it is so cold here. Our autumns are very beautiful and can be very busy so it's easier to keep cheerful. But I hate to see the short days and cold coming on. Cheer up, it'll be spring before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always kind of like autumn...it's like suddenly I have time to take a deep breath and leave a little time for myself. However I do always have in my mind that winter isn't far behind and it isn't a season I like very much with the drab colours, dark days and long nights.

    ReplyDelete