Friday, 28 September 2012

The Leaning Tower of Beansa

It's been raining on and off all week, some very heavy down pours too. Got down to the plot today, just to check on everything. The wind and rain have had an effect and luckily it wasn't too bad.


Leaning tower of beansa
 Play on words there, sorry couldn't resist. Not sure how well you can see it from this photo but the beans are really leaning to the right. It's heavier on that side as the bean plants grew better there, I think they preferred the shade of the other plants. The sun comes from the left of the picture so not sure what that means directionally for the plot, I think it means I've made the beds North/South facing, no maybe East/West. Depends on which way you look at it. The shorter sides face the sun, they would have been the other way round if I had kept to my original plans. I don't think the plants mind.

Butternut Squash bed
I thought I would put some plastic sheeting over the Butternut Squashes to help raise the temperature and therefore help ripening. I don't know if it's the right thing to do as I've never grown them before. We will have to see if it helps. I've made sure there is plenty of ventilation, I can always use the plastic for something else later.
Tyre stack
Whilst I was at B&Q I nipped over to Kwick Fit and asked them for some tyres. They were really helpful, I hadn't expected that. They are currently having a re-fit so they are working under some difficult conditions there, but they found some tyres that I could have, and they gave me large ones too. Now I've stacked them at the plot so I hope no-one complains, I will fill with compost and manure and use them to grow pumpkins in next year.  At the moment I've put my netting in one to stop it getting blown away. Hopefully I will get a shed soon and I will be able to store it all in there when I'm not using it.


Today's harvest

Well there is still lots to do down the plot, but I am getting there. To be honest though I think my plot is the neatest, I have less weeds and even the bit that isn't dug over yet is tidy. Some of the plots are overgrown and have lots of mess on them, but so far all the owners are very nice. 



7 comments:

  1. Why are you growing pumpkins in tyres? They love to sprawl, and create a living mulch, and whenever I've let mine droop (ooh err Matron)the fruits have looked very cross and stayed small. I tried a load of stuff with tyres, and in the end the only thing that worked was throwing the fuckers away!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder about growing the pumpkins in tyres too.

    Glad your plot is still looking tidy..mine is in some serious need of TLC this weekend so I hope the weather is kind to me.

    I think the tyres would be great for mini salad beds...makes harvesting easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get your comments now. You think I'm putting them in that high, no I've just stacked them there like that for now. Pumpkins are shallow rooted plants that like to be placed on a mound for drainage. I am only going to use 1 or 2 high and fill with manure, I will let them sprall across the ground across the area I'm not going to bother digging over as it's too small to put a large bed in. I have grown my zucchini in tyres and they have done very well, so has the butternut squash that's in one.
    I keep my salads at home so it's easier to harvest and look after.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My only concern would be is it safe to grow edible food in tires? I have read both stuff. I also wonder if it is safe to use older tires instead of newer ones? I don't have the answers for you. Sorry. That would just be my concerns from what little I have read. You ae doing a great job and work so hard! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very resourceful - you must have charmed them or fluttered eyelashes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you've been quite busy with your plots. Its astonishing how you can come up with using tires and the like. Its very resourceful of you. Keep it up.
    non profit tampa

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank u
    to become a prof gardner visit us www.decorations-garden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete