Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Another day (well yesterday was)

Yes, I did go down to the plot today, and yesterday. I had a big bonfire yesterday and cut back loads of nettles and brambles. It looks very clear behind the compost heap now. I also managed to put the two pallets up to form another bay to the compost area. This time though I dig out the roots of the weeds that were there. I still haven't managed to lay the paving slabs. I will try and sort something out tomorrow.

Now I left the bonfire smouldering yesterday and when I got there today there was a little bit that hadn't burned so I just quickly piled it back into the middle ready to sort out another fire later in the week. Except what I didn't expect was for the wind to blow and the fire started up again. Bloody hell. Talk about dangerous.

Any way it's looking good. I have got onion sets and garlic to plant at some point. All I need to do now is figure out some winter planting. Haven't got a clue what to grow. It needs to be something that I can sow now in the greenhouse and plant out in a month or sow. I think I can also sow peas directly into the soil and over winter them, broad beans too. I have never grown anything over winter before so I really haven't got a clue. I do have Kale in already and some of my broccoli were supposed to be purple sprouting but I can't figure out which ones they are as they all seem to be green. I think it's too late now to sow some more.


Clear behind the compost bays

New bay added to existing heap.

Now All I need to do there is clear the bit in front so it's easier to get to. I also want to find somewhere to bury the blue box and put some stones in for the bees. Some of them have drowned trying to get a drink and I don't want that to happen. I will raid my neighbours skip tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. You have been one busy lady cleaning up things and planting and planning for cooler weather crops! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be able to be off to a good start next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly is looking great...you'll be glad of winter coming and the work slowing down a bit.

    ReplyDelete