Wednesday, 30 May 2012

Day 23

Phew! What a hot week it has been so far. I have a little bit of shade on the plot from the tall trees that run along side it so I have moved my bench to this spot. I still haven't managed to dig any more of the plot over because my knees are still playing me up, I have an appointment with the doc for Friday.

I did manage to get my sweetcorn planted and I have added a couple of Butternut Squashes at the ends so they can grow in and around the bottom of the sweetcorn bed.


I also managed to pick up some old carpet from a friend who has just replaced hers, you can see it in the top left corner above. I will cut this down and use it in the pathways between the beds, but for the moment I have laid it out across the part I still need to dig over. This should help keep the weeds down, and they are growing like crazy. It's a shame my plants aren't growing as well as the weeds are.


My potatoes are coming up, although there are a few gaps where I know I planted some but they haven't come up. I'm not sure if I should leave it and give them a chance or replace them. I also planted a pumpkin that can grow down the middle of the bed in between the potatoes. I have also planted some in the bean bed so they can grown underneath them. Make use of the space I say, they should help keep the weeds down too.



I also planted my Zucchinis. I'm using the tyres that were left on the plot to raise them off the ground to keep them well drained. As I had 4 of them the final one has been planted straight into the bed, we will wait and see which method is better.

Not a single carrot or beetroot has come up. I planted the seeds back at the end of March (I think) but still nothing. I think the rain must have rotted the seeds. So today I tried a different method. I made my drill, watered it then used the tapes I bought yesterday. Yes tape. Seeds on a tape by Suttons. I had to laugh though, you would think they would have machines that could spread the seeds out properly so there would be no need for thinning out, this would be especially good for the carrots, but no, I will still need to do some thinning if they all germinate. I haven't labelled each row separately as I know I have alternated the rows to confuse the carrot fly and I will know when they come up what is what. There was no point in taking any photos of this bed, however, I didn't think if any of you might have wanted to see the seed tape, oh well, sorry.

My peas aren't doing very well, they look a bit sickly. I have just sown some more in my greenhouse, lets hope they grow quickly and strong so I can replace some of the sickly ones. I have lots of seedlings that need to go down the plot but they still need some time to get a bit bigger, fingers crossed.

Just as I was leaving a young lad with his friends parents came up to me. He is thinking of getting a plot. I hope they give him one that has been recently vacated, not that I don't want him down with me it's just that it would be a lot of hard work for him and I don't know if he will be up to it. He has lots of big ideas and I think the reality may be a shock to him.

4 comments:

  1. It may have been too cold for the parsnips and carrots to germinate and grow on. We sowed parsnip on 30 April and carrots 25 May and both have germinated. We sow both in a shallow trench of compost which is well watered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I sowed mine the first time round but then we had all that rain which went on and on, then the sun came out and the surface got crusty so I think this stopped them coming up. Oh well, I've re-sown now, all I have to do is wait and see how good this seed tape is.

      Delete
  2. I might sound like an idiot, and I am. But won't you have nightmares digging up the potatoes without disturbing the squash plant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are main crop potatoes so will be in for a while yet. I can start harvesting the potatoes from the other end as there is only the one squash at the one end. The potatoes nearer to the squash can be pulled up much later and could even be left in well into the Autumn. In fact some people leave their potatoes in the ground for storage during the winter rather than pulling them up and storing in bags.

      Delete