Tuesday, 17 April 2012

A most wonderful suprise

I didn't go down to the plot today, the sun was shinning and the rain falling. It was a day of many parts, the weather couldn't make up it's mind so in between the showers I ran out to the garden and sorted my old veg beds. There are only four little raised beds but over the years they have always given a plentiful supply of beans, onions, lettuce and cucumbers amongst other things. I have strawberries, raspberries, braeburn apples, gooseberries and blueberries all dotted around the garden too.

So I set out to clear the beds so I can use them this year for the salad veg, having this at home and not at the plot makes it easier for me to pick and water. I pulled up the weeds and the remains of the winter salad and what did I find. A most wonderful surprise. Tree peonies. They have sprouted at last. I had originally put the seeds in pots to germinate but I often forgot to water them and they never sprouted, so, I'd got out my book "The guide to successful propagation" and looked to see what I could do. Well good job I did. It said to plant them outside, in the first year they grow their roots and in the second year they sprout. So I marked a row out in one of the beds where I knew they wouldn't be disturbed and I left them. That was at the beginning of last year. Today I cleared the winter salads and there they were, just a single leaf for each of them, but alive and well. I am so full of joy. Now all I have to do is wait for them to get big enough to transplant.



 I added some of my well rotted manure to the bed and sowed some lettuce direct. It should be fine here, this far south it warms up early, although I have covered the seeds with a cloche, mainly to keep the dog off.



I then checked the next bed, I had left some onions in this bed as they hadn't grown enough to harvest last year. I noticed that they had split and were starting to grow, so I dug them out, split them up, and replanted them. I hope they grow into big plump onions, most are red but there are a few white ones there.


It's looking all neat and tidy now. The pink pot on the left is one of my two blueberries, both different types to help with pollination. I removed the weeds that had started to grow and gave them both a top dressing of ericacious compost.

The rest of the garden is growing well too. The Braeburn apple trees are in blossom, my strawberries, raspberries and gooseberries are all in leaf with a few buds showing, and my blueberries are in full flower. My lawn has a lot of weeds in it but I only managed to mow half of it before the rain started again and I had to stop.

All in all, today has been a lovely day.

2 comments:

  1. You've done really well with those peonies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do some garden wortk, but this bloody rain is driving me up the wall. I don't want my seeds rotting!

    ReplyDelete