Friday, 9 March 2012

Day 9

Today is Friday so no work for me today, this meant I could get down to the allotment and get on with the raised beds. Trip to B&Q again for the next lot of wood, this went much better than last time. I still didn't get any help from the staff but I think they have finally learnt not to place their display boxes at the end of the aisles. It was fully clear for me this time and I didn't knock anything over. Mr talk-a-lot was not at the allotments today so I got a lot done. I managed to make and place 2 new raised beds and I marked out and started digging another.

















I am not digging over the pathways this time but it doesn't seem too easy to dig over just the bed. I found there was not enough room to dig a row and put the soil back. It meant that I missed removing some roots and I couldn't dig as deep as I had before. Hopefully it won't be too bad. I intend to put wood round the new beds too but at the moment I just want to get digging so there will be places to plant in, spring is almost here and I have already got seedling in my greenhouse that will need planting out. I am keeping these well covered at the moment as I went into the greenhouse the other day to check on my plants and mice had got in and had eaten my chitting potatoes, I had to go out and buy some more. There is now a plastic sheet covering them so the mice can't get at my new lot.



I have used my old video tape to mark out these beds but it snaps very easily. It shows me well enough where I have to dig though and if I go round with the spade I can mark it out properly and the edges are all neat. 

I am at work tomorrow so I won't be able to get there again until Sunday, hopefully the weather will be ok. I'm off for a soak in the tub, glass of wine and chocolate cake, mmmm. 

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing hoe mice can get to things - hope you don't mean just plastic sheets as the mice may nibble through it. Another problem is to watch that the plastic doesn't cause sweating.

    ReplyDelete